NIH PHS HUMAN SUBJECTS AND CLINICAL TRIALS FORM
The PHS Human Subjects and Clinical Trials form is now a mapped form in Kuali Research and no longer needs to be attached as a User Attached Form. To help you with entering the information in KR, so that it maps correctly to the form, see our Resource Guide.
NIH VALIDATION SERVICE
Kuali Research includes the NIH Validation Service, which checks proposals for all NIH validation errors and warnings prior to submitting proposals to NIH. Grants.gov errors must be cleared before the NIH Validation Service errors or warnings will appear. The NIH validation errors and warnings are included in Data Validations, in a separate section labeled Validation Service Error.
Kuali Research includes the NIH e-Application image service, which prints a pdf copy of the proposal, as it will appear in NIH’s eRA Commons (i.e. includes headers, footers, page numbers, table of contents, etc.). This is a great resource for faculty who would like to review the proposal prior to submission to NIH. To view the NIH e-Application, click the button located at the bottom of the Forms tab within the S2S Opportunity suboption. Grants.gov errors must be cleared before the NIH e-Application package will generate. If you click the button and nothing happens, there are likely Grants.gov errors that need to be fixed.
KNOWN ISSUES IN KR: 5/27/22
Below is an updated list of issues that have been reported. We are working hard at fixing these issues and we’re optimistic that some are getting closer to being implemented.
- Budget Reports (Updated) – Some of the budget reports still need to be updated. They are Budget Report #3, 7 and 8. We are also still working on the export to Excel option for all budget reports.
- Conflict of Interest disclosure information not pulling into KR – We are still working on pulling Conflict of Interest disclosure information into the proposal development document. Contact the KR Helpdesk to verify if someone has completed a COI disclosure.
- Errors with Recall – Errors are sporadically occurring when some PDs are recalled out of route, or at other times, a PD will be successfully recalled, but errors are received when trying to submit the recalled PD back into route. Please work with your Proposal Team or BC if this happens in your PD document.
- Adding notes during route – Currently notes cannot be added while a PD is routing for approvals.
- Personnel display order in budgets – The ordering of Project Personnel doesn’t always appear in sequential order. This impacts the display only and seems to occur most frequently when additional TBN positions are added, or when the personnel count exceeds 10 people. The calculations in the budget are correct.
- PD Search – In the PD Search, not all of the results are being returned, and in some instances, the most recent result is not returned at the top of the list.
- Slow performance (New) - Something is happening behind the scenes that is sporadically bringing down some of our servers. This is causing extreme slowness and/or kicking users out of the system. We are working with IT Services to help correct this issue.
- Permissions (New) - When trying to grant another user access/permissions to a PD document, the system is throwing an error and the user is unable to be added.
- Mandatory User Attached Forms (New) – Currently you are unable to pull in an S2S Opportunity if the opportunity has a mandatory User Attached Form (UAF) and that UAF has not been attached yet. The mandatory UAF must be attached first, and then the S2S Opportunity can be added.
- Graduate student fringe benefits not mapping correctly to S2S budget forms (New) - For some S2S submissions we have noticed that when using different object codes to budget graduate students, the fringe benefits may not map properly to the S2S budget form. For example:
- when adding a grad using the Graduate Student object code (which maps to the Graduate Student budget category), and then
- adding another object code for Student Labor (Summer) and adjusting the Budget Category to Graduate Student,
- the fringe benefits pull from one of the object codes rather than adding them together for the S2S budget form.
Please continue to reach out to the KR Helpdesk when you run across any errors, issues, or to provide other feedback on the system.
ISSUES THAT HAVE BEEN FIXED
The following issues have been fixed in KR:
- Budget Report #5 has now been updated and is available in KR!