Crime or Emergency:
- Emergencies: Call 911
- Non-emergencies, crimes, or suspicious activity: Call MSU Police and Public Safety at (517) 355-2221
- MSU Police and Public Safety anonymous texting: Text the word MSUPD along with a tip to CRIMES (274637)
- MSU Police and Public Safety toll-free tip line: Call 844-99-MSUPD (844-99-67873)
Relationship Violence, Stalking, and Sexual Assault:
Responsible Employees are required to promptly report relationship violence, stalking, and sexual assault that they observe or learn about and that involves a member of the University community (employee or student) or which occurred at a University-sponsored event or on University property. For more information, please visit the University Reporting Protocol.
To report relationship violence, stalking, and sexual assault, contact the Office of Institutional Equity (OIE):
Harassment or Discrimination:
Child Abuse (Including Child Sexual Abuse, Child Sexually Abusive Material, and Child Pornography):
- Mandated Reporters under Michigan Law: Employees or volunteers who are defined as mandated reporters and who suspect child abuse or neglect must report to the Michigan Department of Health & Human Services (“MDHHS”), Child Protective Services (“CPS”) immediately by:
- Calling 855-444-3911 with a verbal report and then filing a written report with MDHHS/CPS within 72 hours; or
- Reporting online through the Michigan Online Reporting System.
- Information about reporting abuse and neglect can be found under the Abuse & Neglect section of the MDHHS website.
- After contacting CPS, notify MSU Police and Public Safety of the report.
- All other employees: Contact MSU Police and Public Safety immediately at (517) 355-2221
- MSU Police and Public Safety will file a report with MDHHS/CPS.
- Allegations of sexual assault, including child sexual assault, related to a member of the university community (employees or student) must also be reported to OIE.
- For more information, or to determine if you are a mandated reporter under Michigan law, please review the policies and procedures.
To report students, employees, or other individuals on campus who have engaged in behavior indicating a possible threat of harm to self or other members of the campus community:
- Emergencies: Call 911
- Non-emergencies: Submit a report to MSU’s Behavioral Threat Assessment Team via an online referral form.
Ethical, Policy, Compliance Violations or Other Misconduct:
Including but not limited to athletics misconduct, conflicts of interest, discrimination and harassment, employment misconduct, fiscal misconduct, hazing, medical and HIPAA violations, privacy violations, research misconduct, retaliation, safety, or other area of concern not specifically listed.
- Submit an anonymous report online
- Call the anonymous (24/7) hotline: (800) 763-0764
- Report suspected misconduct by contacting a specific university office
- Visit the Misconduct Hotline website for more information.
Any member of the MSU community (employees and students) may file a formal complaint concerning the conduct of students whose behavior reportedly violated University policy:
- Submit a report online to the Office of Student Support & Accountability (formerly the Dean of Students Office)
- For a time-sensitive consultation, contact the Office of Student Support & Accountability at (517) 884-0789