The ERA certification series provides training for research administrators and other support staff who have responsibilities for research proposals, grants, contracts, pre- and post-award administration and related activity at Michigan State University. (Training is complimentary.)
Initial Certification Requirements
Participants in the ERA program must complete the following requirements within two (2) calendar years to earn the ERA certificate:
- Attend all 5 Cores AND a minimum of 3 Electives
- Initial certificate valid for two (2) calendar years beginning in the year the participant began attending ERA training sessions
In order to maintain ERA certification status, continuing education of 2 Elective credits (or equivalent approved research-related training credits; see below) is required on an annual basis (after the initial certification period). Recertification credit options are as follows:
- Attend 2 MSU ERA Electives every calendar year after your initial certificate end-date, and every calendar year thereafter.
- Attend one of the following SPROUT approved conferences or training programs (local, regional or national) and send proof of attendance or successful completion to Amanda Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org), Sponsored Programs Administration Training Coordinator:
- National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA)
- Society of Research Administrators (SRA)
- Grant Professionals Association (GPA)
- National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO)
- Obtain your Certified Research Administrator (CRA) certificate through the Research Administrators Certification Council (RACC)
- Attend SpartanRAN meetings to receive 1/2 elective credit for each meeting attended
- Attend GRAND meetings to receive 1/2 Elective credit for each meeting attended
- Members of SPAC or SPROUT may receive 1/4 Elective credit for each meeting attended
- If you would like an alternative option considered for recertification credit, please send a request to the SPROUT Training Subcommittee Chair: Amanda Jones at email@example.com
2021 ERA CORES & ELECTIVES - Register in Ability at www.ora.msu.edu/train
1Registration for Core 1 will automatically enroll you in both sessions. You must attend both sessions for full credit.
Elective locations will be determined at a later date.
Class Materials: Final materials will be posted in Ability prior to each class date, and also emailed directly to registrants.
eLearning Electives in D2L:
International Research I
|Email Amanda Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be added to the course in D2L and to receive further instruction on completing the training and receiving ERA credit.
|International Research II
|Contracts and Other Agreements
Attending ERA Electives will provide you with new knowledge and tools in research administration, and stay updated on both MSU and agency policies and procedures. Once you have obtained your initial ERA Certification, you will need to attend two (2) Electives (or other qualified training equivalents) every calendar year in order to keep your certificate active.