Last Updated: 10/31/2017
One of the critical pieces of information captured in the Proposal Development document is key personnel. This job aid will show you how Key Personnel are entered in KC.
- Principal Investigators
- College/Department Administrators
- Creating a Proposal Development document in KC
Adding MSU Employees as Key Personnel
- From the Proposal Development document, click the Key Personnel tab
- In the Add Key Person bubble, click the Employee Search icon
- Enter search criteria in the KcPerson Lookup screen and click search (Note that you can use wildcards to search. For example, if you wanted to search for Alex Kauffman, but did not know if Alex was short for Alexandra, you could enter Kauffman in the Last Name field and A* in the First Name field. This would return individuals with the last name Kauffman and first name beginning with the letter A. Please see the Searching in KC job aid for additional information.)
- The User Name field can be used to search by a person’s MSU Net ID
- In the search results, click the return value for the desired individual
- Depending on the role being added, take the following steps:
- Primary contact Principal Investigator, select the Principal Investigator role. All Proposal Development documents must have one Principal Investigator listed. (Note: for NIH proposals the dropdown will read PI/Contact instead of Principal Investigator).
- Co‐PD/PI, select Co‐Investigator from the Proposal Role drop down. Once selected, a Co‐PD/PI checkbox will appear. Check the box and click add person. (Note: NIH instructions for Multi‐PI are in a separate section toward the end of this document)
- Co‐Investigator, select Co‐Investigator from the Proposal Role drop down. Leave the Co‐PD/PI checkbox unchecked. Click add person.
- Key Person, select Key Person from the Proposal Role drop down. Once selected a Key Person Role field will appear. Enter a description for the key person and click add person.
- Click the show button in each person’s panel and, if needed, add additional information in the Person Details, Extended Details, or Degrees subpanels
- For PIs, Co‐PD/PIs and Co‐Is, the Unit Details subpanel includes their default PI Profile (used for F&A allocation). If a profile other than the default is needed, it can be searched for from this subpanel (see arrow below)
- Key Persons do not bring in a PI Profile. If you would like to add their default PI Profile, click the add unit details button. This will also add them to the Combined Credit Split panel.
- The Proposal Person Certification subpanel includes the certification questions that must be answered by Principal Investigators, Co‐PD/PIs and Co‐Investigators (each in their own subpanel). The questions can be answered as the proposal is being worked on or while the proposal is routing for approval but must be completed prior to submission of the proposal.
- Key Persons typically do not need to complete the Proposal Person Certification questions. If the questions need to be included for an individual, click the show button next to Certify, click the include certification questions button and click save.
- The Combined Credit Split panel is where MSU will enter F&A Allocation credit, the Post Award (i.e. bookkeeping) Unit and Space credit. Complete the Combined Credit Split panel ensuring the values across investigators and units add up to 100%. For additional help/information see the Distributing F&A and Space Credit and Assigning a Post Award Unit Job Aid.
Adding Non-MSU Employees as Key Personnel
- In the Add Key Person bubble, click the Non‐employee Search icon
- Search for and add the person using the same steps outlined in the Adding MSU Employees as Key Personnel section of this job aid. If a non‐employee search does not elicit a result, it may be necessary to have the person added to the KC Address Book.
- To request an addition, visit the Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP) website, https://osp.msu.edu, and log into the website by clicking the Sign In link.
- Navigate to the Forms and Templates section of the OSP website (https://osp.msu.edu/PL/Portal/Forms.aspx), and beneath Kuali Coeus (KC) System, complete
and submit an Adding Non‐MSU Employees web request. Within 1 business day, an email confirming the new non‐employee’s addition will be sent from the KCHelpDesk to the email address indicated on the request.
Notes on Non‐MSU Employees
- Non‐employees are always added with the Key Person role. For NIH Multi‐PI submissions, see instructions in the Special Instructions for NIH Proposals section, if adding a non‐MSU employee as a multi PI.
- Do not add unit details or include certification questions for non‐employees.
Special Instructions for NIH Proposals
Other Significant Contributors
For NIH proposals, you may wish to include someone with an “Other Significant Contributor” role. If so, take the following steps:
- Add the person following the instructions above for how to add a Key Person
- Expand the Person Details subpanel and check the Other Significant Contributor checkbox. This will ensure the proper role is selected on the Grants.gov key personnel form.
Adding Multiple PIs
If submitting a Multiple PD/PI proposal, take the following steps:
- Add the Contact PI with the PI/Contact role
- The remaining steps depend on whether the multiple PI is an MSU employee or Non‐employee.
If an MSU employee:
- Click the Employee Search icon to search for the correct person, return the result
- Select Co‐Investigator in the Proposal Role field, once Co‐Investigator is selected a new box will appear labeled Multiple PI. Check the box.
- Click add person
- The label on the tab for the second PI will be listed as PI/Multiple
If a Non‐Employee:
- Click the Non‐employee Search icon to search for the correct person (see instructions above on how to add a Non‐MSU employee), return the result
- Select Key Person in the Proposal Role field, and enter PD/PI in the Key Person Role field
- Click add person
- Click show, on this person’s panel, and click show on the Person Details subpanel, enter the eRA Commons User ID for this PI
- The label on the multi‐PI’s panel will still show as Key Person, however their role on the Grants.gov Senior Key Personnel form will accurately show as PD/PI