Last Updated: 2/22/2017
There are a variety of search options available to users. This Job Aid will guide faculty and administrators through several common searches as well as provide information for organizing and exporting search results.
Avoid open searches (those that do not contain search criteria) as they:
- Take a long time to run due to the amount of data in the system
- May not return the information you are looking for as the result set is limited to a fixed number
- May make the result set difficult to work with because the data is not sorted in any particular order
The need to locate information or complete documents within KC
Common Search Functions:
From the Unit tab in KC, a search is triggered when the user clicks a look up icon. The image below highlights the Award search icon, shown in the Post-Award channel.
Once the Award search icon is clicked, the Award Lookup screen will appear with multiple search criteria. In the example below, the system will display only active awards for Dr. Elliott Wolf that contain the root word hexasilane in the title. The system will return these results only if the user has permission to view search results for the Dr. Wolf’s department.
Common Search Tips:
- Award, Institutional Proposal, Negotiation, and Subaward search results only contain the final version of a document. (To search for documents that are still in process, use Doc Search, explained later in this job aid.)
- KC has wildcard searches available to assist when the user only has partial information. The most common wildcard is an asterisk (*), which allows the user to search for partial values. Example: Enter *diabetes* in the Project Title field and the results will include all proposals with the word diabetes in the title.
- The Action List can serve as a search tool to quickly locate documents on which you need to take action. You can use filters such as;
- Use the filter feature to sort the action list by items requiring approval (Date Last Assigned)
- Sort by COMPLETE (under Action Requested column) to filter and update documents on which you have been asked to make changes
- See the Managing the Action List Job Aid for additional information
- The system returns only search results to the user that they have permission to view.
- The system limits the number of search results to 50. To narrow the search results enter additional search criteria.
Organizing/Exporting Search Results
- Reorder search results by clicking the header of any given column to sort alphabetically or numerically.
- Export option links: at the end of each result set, there are links for exporting the data to a different format. If you wish to export the result of the table lookup, either in the CSV, Excel or XML format, simply click CSV to export the data as a comma delimited file (comma separated value), spreadsheet to export the data as an Excel spreadsheet or XML to export the data as xml (extensible markup language).
Proceed to the Section Appropriate for Your Review:
- Common searches for Faculty (pages 3-4)
- Common searches for Research Administrators (pages 5-7)
Common Searches for Faculty
NOTE: Faculty may choose to use the “Search Proposals” link rather than the “All My Proposals” link when searching for their proposals. “All My Proposals” will return only proposals that the faculty member has initiated.
- From the Researcher tab, Proposals channel, click the Search Proposals link.
- The system opens the Development Proposal Look up screen.
- Enter desired search criteria
- Entering FirstName*LastName of the investigator in the Investigator field will return a list of proposals for the individual investigator.
- If necessary, enter additional search criteria on the Development Proposal Lookup screen to narrow the search results and click the search button.
- Click the search button.
All My Awards Search:
- From the Researcher tab, Awards channel, click the All my Awards link.
- The system returns Award documents connected to the researcher currently logged in and initiating the search. The researcher’s name will automatically populate the Investigator field of the lookup screen.
- The system will show the number of available awards for the researcher, ex. 206, while only displaying 50 items. The system presents only awards the user has permission to view and are active, or have an active time & money document. To narrow the search results enter additional search criteria.
- If necessary, enter additional search criteria on the Award Lookup screen to narrow the search results and click the search button.
- Select open in the Actions column.
- The system takes you to the selected Award document.
All My Negotiations Search:
NOTE: Searching for Negotiation documents connected to your research works the same way as Award searches. The All My Negotiations link is located in the Negotiations channel.
COMMON SEARCHES FOR RESEARCH ADMINISTRATORS
All My Proposals Search:
NOTE: Follow the steps outlined below when searching for Proposal Development documents that you have initiated.
- From the Researcher tab, Proposals channel, click the All My Proposals link.
- The system takes you to the Document Search screen with the Document Type populated with ProposalDevelopmentDocument and the Initiator populated with the user ID of the person currently logged in.
- Click search.
- The search results include all Proposal Development Documents that have been initiated by the logged in user.
- Select the Document ID number to open the Proposal Development Document.
Search Proposal Development, Institutional Proposal, Negotiation, Awards and Subawards:
Searches performed for specific documents all work similarly. From the Unit tab, you first locate the desired document type (Proposal Development, Institutional Proposal, Negotiation, Award, Subaward) in either the Pre-award or Post-Award channel, click the look up icon, enter the desired search criteria and click the search button. The differences between the searches are primarily related to the appropriate search criteria for the respective document type. Typically, administrators will use an Account ID to search for Award and Subaward documents, whereas an administrator will likely search Proposal and Negotiation documents using the name of the principal investigator or unit ID. As an example, please see the step-by-step instructions below to perform a Subaward search:
Subaward Document Search:
- From the Unit tab, Post-Award channel, click the lookup icon next to Subawards.
- On the Subaward Lookup screen, enter the desired search criteria, such as Account ID. (Note CGA enters the Principal Investigator name in the Requisitioner’s Name field, so it is possible use Requisitioner’s name to search Subaward documents).
- Click the search button.
- Select the desired Subaward from the search results.
The doc search button takes the user to the Document Search screen, which provides fields to query KC and KFS for various types of documents. Unlike the Award, Institutional Proposal, Subawards, or Negotiation searches listed above, Doc Search allows users to search for all versions of documents, including those that are not final. Doc Search can be a useful search function when searching by a Doc Number, searching for documents created by specific initiators, or when searching by the legacy App Number. The initial display of the Document Search screen allows data entry for basic searching. To conduct more refined searches, use the search buttons located at the top of the search window. Detailed search and superuser search provides users with alternate methods of searching the variety of documents. Finally, you will note that you can toggle between the alternative and regular search methods, for example, changing between the detailed and basic search views.
Searching for an Institutional Proposal by an APP number (from eTransmittal)
- From any tab, click the doc search button, located just above the Pre-Award channel.
- Click the lookup icon next to the Document Type field.
- The system will present the Document Type Lookup screen.
- If you are searching for an Institutional Proposal document, type *institutional* (wildcard search) in the Name field and click the Search button at the bottom of the page.
- Click the return value link for the InstitutionalProposalDocument.
- Type the Legacy APP# in the Organization Document Number field and click the Search button.
- The system returns all the different versions of the Institutional Proposal associated with the Legacy APP# entered.
- Click the Document Id link that is the largest number with the status of FINAL to view the current version of the institutional Proposal record.
- The system opens and displays the Institutional Proposal.
NOTE: Searching for an Award using an APP number would be the same process, only instead of using the InstitutionalProposalDocument; you would instead type in/look up AwardDocument.
Search for Awards using an Account ID:
- From any tab, click the doc search button, located above the Pre-Award channel.
- Click the lookup icon next to the Document Type field to search for the Award document.
- The system will present the Document Type Lookup screen.
- Type *award* (wildcard search) in the Name field and click the Search button at the bottom of the page.
- Click the return value link next to AwardDocument.
- Enter the appropriate number in the Account ID field and click the search button.
- The system returns a list of awards for the Account ID entered.